Friday, June 20, 2008

Friends in the City

Went to see 'Sex in the City' tonight with the hilarious woman, Amy, I
met at one of the business mixers and some of her neighbor friends.

They were all very nice, I really like Amy a lot, but they just
weren't you guys. Tonight was the first time I asked myself if we've
made some huge mistake by moving out here. The feeling of missing you
all is very visceral right this moment.

I miss our shorthand, I miss swearing like a truck driver, I miss our
culture of closeness and laughter. I miss us meeting for Thai,
Japanese, Italian, Korean, French, Vegan, Southern food.

I miss drinking in our backyard. I miss watching Max run away from all
of you when I wanted him to hug you ( ok, he does that here, too), I
miss him having the opportunity to see you all so often, all of you,
the best representations of what I know good people to be.

I really miss you my friends in the city.

Lordy. This blows.

4 comments:

Tia Tobi said...

I don;t quite know what to say. I want to say "of course you made a big mistake! Get your happy ass back here asap!" But I know that you are where you are meant to be right now. Know that I miss you with all of my heart and soul. I know we talk relativley often but it doesn't feel right making major (or minor for that matter) life decisions without your advise. We always talk about our buddy Max. Whenever I am tired or sad Xian calls me "baby bird" and comforts me and it makes me think of you. Those other bitches obviously don't hold a candle in the wind to us crazy LA girls but I am happy that you have met some nice ladies and you are out and about getting acclimated to your new area. I love you and miss you terribly.

Tia Tobi said...

Although you miss the good company and the fine dining I would like to point out that if you were here right now you would be in sweltering 108 degree heat with an awful dry wind and about 20 layers of smog. Yep...that is right...we burn extra calories because we must chew our air before we breathe.

Unknown said...

We miss you guys too! Your beautiful smile and amazing energy, I miss that my friend. I miss watching the kids frolic in the yard (ours or yours). I miss laughing and marveling that Robert survived childhood. Simply put, we miss you guys a bunch. That being said, you all made a decision that seems right for you. I know we'll see you all again. Thanks for the wonderful bday wishes. Love you --Jana

Shelli said...

Geez.... these sound like my words. I love living in Taipei but I MISS the LA gang. We had and have (now through distance) something very special. No matter how many great people you meet it just doesn't compare.
And yes I am at work. I know, usually I won't take personal calls or be bothered when I am at work - I am too busy. But this week my mind is in the US and I would rather goof off than work. Yikes. I better sign off before someone catches me.