Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Doin' Our Bit





 ...to stay lifelong learners... the first picture's of our local library. They've got a spectacular kid's section. We're still reading to Max for AT LEAST half an hour a day. I estimate he must have read over 1500 books by now. I do get a couple of re-reads for him and it's amazing that every single time he says, "Oh yeah! We've read this book before!"

...to eat food that is more responsible and ecologically sustainable. I made up four pounds of asparagus from my parents' garden (pic 2) into dee-licious cream of asparagus soup. I got to freeze three meal-sized portions in addition to the one we ate to cut down on energy consumption through cooking. And in pic 4, Robert's tossing compost made up of old sileage onto our garden here. We're going to let it lie fallow this year because we planted so much at my parents' and also because our soil is almost pure clay. We need to condition it for a bounteous harvest for next year. 

...to again cut down on energy consumption by hangin' our clo'es on the lines outside. If you'd have told my eight year old self that hated going to hang clothes outside that my grown-up self would be tickled pink to be able to hang my clothes outside, I'd have given you a look of such withering scorn that you'd smarting yet. Although now you'd be laughing your ass off. Rightly so.

... to support the local economy by eating at Michael's Custard. Really, it is so lusciously tasty!

1 comment:

Nhật Ngũyén said...

I hang my clothes too! And like you, I HATED it growing up because it was such a long haul from the garage to our back yard. Now though, I said it with such pride. I drive a Prius and I hang dry my clothes. What next?