Friday, May 16, 2008

A Memory: Indelibly Etched Forever

The other day I was pulling weeds in our pea patch. To take a break and stretch my legs, I followed Max when he told me he wanted to show me something.

He took me to a ladder my Dad had fastened to a maple tree, and asked if I wanted to watch him climb up to a little platform that was about twenty feet up.

With a touch of trepidation, naturally, I said, "Of course!" And I watched as he proudly scampered up like the monkey that he is.

After gazing around at his new view and reveling in being taller than me, he called down, "I wish you were a little girl so you could come up here and sit with me." I called back, "Well, I can't be a little girl, but that doesn't mean I can't come up there and sit with you! Do you want me to still come on up? " Ecstatic he yelled, "Yes!!!"

So, up the ladder I went.

When I got to the top Max was over the moon that I'd come to be with him. He grabbed my face with both of his warm, sweet little hands and gave me a big kiss. Then he snuggled down, put his head in my lap, and just laid still looking up at the peridot spring leaves dancing against the backdrop of the robin's egg blue sky. And yes, there were fluffy, perfectly-shaped, pure-white clouds sailing by.

I watched the breeze playing with his beautiful hair and my heart just overflowed with love and the absolute wonder I feel sometimes that this amazing child should be mine.

God, I love that kid.

2 comments:

Nhật Ngũyén said...

I like fabulous tingles. That post was for someone who had the nerve to say, "Come to the bar and bask in my fabulousness." I was thinking, who in gay hell says that?

A new post will be made to answer your question on Atlanta.

And yes, hang dried clothes smell great, especially when you use fabric softener.

Tia Tobi said...

What a beautiful story! It brought tears to my eyes! With all the hustle and bustle of the world I adore that there are still people out there that take the time to enjoy the here and now. Thanks for sharing